12:00 PM FANCY vs HENRY SINGER
This was pivotal matchup to clear up the playoff picture. Both teams are fighting for the very important first round bye.
Henry Singer got off to a great start. Simren Sandhu did it all himself. He won the faceoff to himself and slotted it in.
They kept rolling, Mahmoud Mahfouz sprinted to beat an icing call, got the ball to Jiven Gill who showed great awareness to find Akash Mehta cross ice. Akash buried it top shelf for good measure. 2-0.
Anoop Sahota had a strong game for Fancy. He ran down the right wing and found Navi Brar beside the net. Navi did well to pick out Amit Mann infront of the net and all he had to do was tuck it away. 2-1.
Simren Sandhu gave HS a bigger lead when he obtained the ball down low, showed great patience before finding Akash Mehta in the slot and this guy again, sniped it top shelf. How does he get so much room?
You’d think HS was going to win this match but you would be wrong. There were a lot of penalties taken in this game and this allowed Fancy to get back into it.
Fancy cut the lead after an HS defender turnover which landed on the stick of Amit Mann, he went shelf for his second of the game on the PP.
Another PP goal was scored by Nav Khinda. Kik Brar passed the ball to Navi Brar off the wall. Navi walked in and took a shot. Nav Khinda buried the rebound. 3-3.
The final goal to complete the comeback was scored by Navi Brar. Amit Mann came out of the corner and found him back door for the top shelf finish.
4-3 win for Fancy.
1:00PM All India vs Vacuums
This was a must win for All India. They were in tough against Vacuums who were playing for something else near the top of the table.
Since there were too many goals scored, I will list them as follows:
- Pirt was behind the net near the corner, he came out and made a great backdoor pass which was finished by Amir Bains. What a play. Great to see Pirt a fan favourite contribute on the floor.
- Jesse Virdee took a shot from the point that went in after Shaneil won a big faceoff clean.
- Paul Hothi scored the third goal for All India cleaning up a Jaspal Dosanjh point shot. Jassa made sure that the refs caught that assist.
- He got another assist on Jesse Sohi’s goal. Jso went on a half breakaway and wristed a weak one on Guppy Rai. Guppy did not have his best game today and this goal somehow found a way in.
- Raju Bagri, the rental, scored the 5th goal. On the PP, the other team failed to clear, he broke up the play and walked into the slot and buried. We’d also like to point out that Raju Bagri made a crucial sprawling diving save on a wide open net to keep his team up 3-1.
- Rob Gakhal scored the 6th. He walked out from the corner and shot it far side in.
- Gakhal found Virdee who sprung Jesse Sohi on another breakaway. Jso went five hole.
- Gakhal scored the 8th.
- Armanjot Gill made a good pass to Sewak on left side of the net. Sewak bured a one timer.
- Sukhman Gill shot it, Manny Grewal found the rebound in front of the net.
- Arjun Dhaliwal took a pass from Bob Banga on the half wall and shot it low short side for the goal.
- Sewak from corner found Armanjot in the slot to repay him for the first goal.
- Harsahil wristed one from the blueline which traveled through a bunch of traffic to go in.
All India wins 8-5 and keeps its playoff hopes alive.
2:00PM EYES vs PIZZA 38
Prime time. Match of the Season.
3 minutes into the game Buddy Gandoke scored a goal on the PP from the point. Assisted by Sam Punian. 1-0 Eyes.
Mani Sira scored a big goal for Pizza 38 with just a minute 30 left in the first half. He slotted in a rebound off a Kanwar Sandhu shot.
Pizza 38 took the lead almost immediately after the halftime whistle. Sarman Malhi got the ball near the point. He clapped it through traffic and into the net.
Sam Punian scored ten minutes later to tie it up.
This game looked destined for OT but Mani Boparai had other plans. With less then 40 seconds left he tracked down a rebound from an Amit Chavda shot and scored. 3-2 regulation win. Just like that, Pizza 38 first team eliminated from playoff contention.
3:00PM GALLO vs ART CUSTOM HOMES
Gallo came out of the gate fierce and flying. They dominated the first ten minutes and were very unlucky not to score a couple right off the bat.
Notwithstanding that, it was ACH that scored first. Mano Sidhu perfectly deflected a point shot by Prabh Thind. The goalie had no chance.
ACH was in survival mode for the rest of the half and almost kept the lead until Jason Heer scored a big goal with 4 minutes left in the first frame. He has been on a tear since he took his cage off. Gallo outshot ACH 17-7 in the first half.
The second half was a bit more even. Gallo took the lead 40 seconds into the second half. Defender Joti Atwal scored potentially goal of the year when he got the ball behind the net, went end to end including cutting through two ACH defenders then shelfing it far side on Shiv Puri.
Nav Dhillon scored to make it 3-1 and Deep Sangha scored an empty netter to make it 4-1. Mike LeBlanc did well in the win.
Gallo wins. With the win the solidify their playoff spot. It is likely that these two teams will faceoff again in the first round of the playoffs. It will be a much closer game as ACH was missing some key players.